A proper diet is the core thing if you decide to reduce weight. It depends on how healthy the meals are whether you are going to lose weight quickly or not. Working out and exercise is important too, but it is a diet that helps to get most of the gym. Ketogenic and other low carb diets tend to promise quick weight and appetite reduction. The ketogenic diet is known for replacing carbohydrates with fat as the major source of energy in the human body.
A perfect keto diet occurs if meals are made up of around ten percent of carbohydrates, twenty percent of protein and seventy percent of fats. Such a diet has become extremely popular among celebrities worldwide. Dieticians claim that the human body enters the state of ketosis thanks to this meal plan and starts burning fat to release energy.
Originally, the ketogenic diet was meant to be for patients who suffer from epileptic seizures. Despite that, people who want to reduce weight choose it quite often. There are different opinions regarding the keto diet. Some studies state that it is harmful to the human body while others have come to the opposite conclusion. Still, there is a steady growth in the popularity of the ketogenic diet for weight reduction.
This diet can be adapted to Indian needs and preferences. All species are considered to be keto-friendly which means that desi keto diet followers are free to choose from a wide range of Indian dishes. In addition to that, all the dishes may be new to you if you never tried Indian cuisine. If you are a fan of this kind of food, you will be happy to know that there is no need to abandon it on a keto diet.
Desi Dishes That You Didn’t Know Were Keto-Friendly:
Kerala obtains a lot of carries and stews which are cooked with the help of coconut milk. The good part is that all of them are good for a keto diet. Avial happens to be a vegetable stew which includes several local as well as seasonal vegetables. They are drumsticks, green beans and curry leaves which should be fried in coconut oil. Both coconut milk and coconut oil contain a lot of monosaturated fatty acids which are considered to be good for the human body.
The key ingredients for this dish are:
- green beans;
- ash gourd;
- yellow pumpkin;
- freshly grated coconut;
- cumin seeds;
- coconut oil;
- green chillies;
- spring curry leaves;
The process of cooking this keto diet Indian dish is simple and takes around 35 minutes to prepare.
- Baigan ka bharta
Baigan is known as aubergine or brinjal is regarded as one of the most nutritious vegetables which are low carb at the same time. Indians are fond of brinjals and prepare them in the form of bharta. It is nothing but a spiced mash made of brinjal which is consumed with rice or bread. An aubergine portion of one hundred grams contains only six grams of carbohydrates. This carb load is less than the one of the majority of other vegetables.
The key ingredients of Baigan Ka Bharta are the following:
- garam masala;
- chilli powder;
- ginger garlic paste;
- turmeric powder;
- coriander powder.
Indians also prepare garnishing which includes green coriander and green chili which need to be chopped. The preparation time is around fifty minutes. The difficulty level of this dish is considered to be medium.
- Sarso Ka Saag
India is a country that has lots of green that tend to contain very few carbohydrates. Sarso Ka Saag is an often-eaten dish of wintergreen mustard. A hundred grams portion of raw sarso contains around 4.7 grams of carbohydrates. Just add some ghee to saag and the nutrition will be enhanced.
The main ingredients of Sarso Ka Saag are the following:
- mustard leaves;
- red chilli powder;
- Makki ka Atta;
- Green chillies;
- Desi ghee.
It should take you around two hours to prepare this dish. The difficulty level is regarded as a medium. This means that it is not hard to cook Sarso Ka Saag as well. The dish is usually served hot.
- Paneer Bhurji
If you are a keto dieter, paneer is going to be the food you need. 100 grams of this product contains around 3.4 grams of carbohydrates. Vegetarians often use paneer to cook dishes in India. At the same time, Bhurji happens to be one of the easiest and nutritious paneer dishes. It can also be added to salads and desserts which are keto-friendly.
To cook Paneer Bhurji you need:
- red chilli powder;
- garlic paste;
- desi ghee;
- bay leaves;
- coriander leaves;
- whole red chillies;
- cumin seed powder;
- red chilli powder;
- green cardamoms;
- kasuri methi powder;
- black pepper corns;
- green chillies;
- cumin seeds;
- little bit of lemon juice;
Paneer Bhurji will take you around 40 minutes to cook. It is also regarded as an easy-to-cook dish.
- Palak Paneer
Palak is spinach, in fact. It happens to be one more low-carb vegetable which is cooked with paneer to get a delicious dish – Palak Paneer. 100 grams of palak contain around 3.6 grams of carbs. For this reason, this vegetable happens to be perfect for keto dishes.
Basically, this dish is paneer cubes prepared in spinach curry. The recipe happens to be easy and it will take you around 50 minutes to cook Palak Paneer. They advise to serve it with a chilled cucumber raita and matar pulao.
To cook this delicious dish you need:
- Paneer cubes;
- black cardamom;
- coriander powder;
- cumin seeds;
- red pepper;
- Bay leaf;
- garam masala;
- garlic and ginger:
- onion paste;
If you cannot add paneer for some reason, it is possible to substitute it with tofu.
7-Day Indian Keto Diet Plan & Recipes:
How to start:
Monday – Day 1
An approximate menu is the following:
- Breakfast – coffee and omelet with bacon cooked in butter.
- Lunch – mutton seekh kebab and blanched broccoli with salt and pepper. When preparing mutton seekh kebab you may sprinkle a little bit of chaat masala on it. Broccoli is one of the best foods for a keto diet. This ingredient happens to be very versatile and can be added to many dishes.
- Evening snacks– cheese, yogurt or cottage cheese. Although milk has lots of carbohydrates and lactose and should be avoided on keto, you can eat the mentioned products. It is advised, though, not to consume too much. Another variant of snacks can be a handful of peanuts or almonds.
- Dinner – omelet. It can be spinach egg omelet, for example. It is healthier than many non-keto foods. Moreover, you will not have to spend too much time to cook it.
Tuesday – Day 2
Your menu for Tuesday can include the following:
- Breakfast – coffee and mutton seekh kebab with hard-boiled eggs. If you do not feel like having coffee, you can replace it with a cup of green tea, for example. The eggs can be eaten with mint chutney or homemade mayonnaise the recipes of which can be quickly found on the internet.
- Lunch can be shallow fried cottage cheese. The taste of this dish is wonderful, regardless of being cold or hot. Cheese can also be fried with several juliennes of green peppers. You can sprinkle some chat masala in the end as well.
- Snacks can be almonds, peanuts or strawberries. Another option is salted buttermilk which can be had with some roasted cumin powder and fresh mint.
- Dinner – shredded chicken breast in soya sauce. The easy dish does not take much time to prepare and the taste is awesome.
Wednesday – Day 3
On Wednesday your meals can be:
- Breakfast – masala omelet with smoked bacon and cheese. Bacon happens to be an ideal keto-friendly food thanks to its ratio. The omelet can be eaten with mint chutney.
- Lunch – parboiled cauliflower in mayonnaise with mutton seekh kebab. The mayonnaise should be homemade. This dish keto-friendly is also easy to make.
- Snacks – peanuts oil roasted and salted. These peanuts are made in an Indian way. This snack is good if it fits into your macros.
- Dinner – keto butter chicken/ murg makhana. The preparation time of this dish should be around 20 minutes while the cook time is 30 minutes. This dish is easy to cook as well and the recipe can be found on the internet.
Thursday – Day 4
Your Thursday keto Indian diet meals can be the following:
- Breakfast – scrambled eggs with chicken sausages and coffee or any other beverage. You can add some salt and pepper and cook the eggs in butter. The breakfast can be of 2 chicken sausages and 3 eggs.
- Lunch – chicken Malai Tikka. This is another dish known worldwide which comes from India. It tastes delicious and is really easy to make. Such chicken can be eaten hot being sprinkled with some lemon juice.
- Snacks – can be peanuts, almonds or strawberries as well. Choose the one which is good for your macro needs.
- Dinner – chicken seekh kebab the recipe of which can be easily found and easy to perform. You should remember that the kebabs should not be overcooked, so it is necessary to remove them when they are moist.
Friday – Day 5
On Friday your approximate menu can include the following meals:
- Breakfast – protein shake. This one is easy to prepare. Just make sure that the one you have chosen is of good quality.
- Lunch – Shami Kebab with Greek yogurt and sliced strawberries. It will take you only half an hour to prepare the ingredients and twenty minutes to cook the dish. It contains lamb which is good for keto as well. It should be eaten hot with a green salad and green chutney.
- Snacks – opt for any snack mentioned before.
- Dinner – chicken broth, hard-boiled eggs together with honey smoked bacon. The recipe of broth is extremely simple, but you can improve the taste by adding some ginger, garlic, and onion. You can have three hard-boiled eggs and three smoked chicken bacon pieces. This is an approximate portion, so you should adjust it to your macros.
Saturday – Day 6
On Saturday your Indian keto diet meals can be:
- Breakfast – scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee. If you like, you can also add some bacon and some spices to improve the taste of the dish. Do not forget, though, that it should fit your macros.
- Lunch – peppers stuffed with cottage cheese and cauliflower rice. Any color of peppers can be used for this dish. Note that it is better to put cauliflower in a food processor and make a mixture that will resemble rice. This way the dish will be more tasty.
- Snacks – go for any keto-friendly snack which fits your macros. Just do not choose peanuts oil roasted and salted too often.
- Dinner – keto tandoori chicken which is basically a marinated chicken that is cooked over an open fire. You will have to spend around 15 minutes to prepare and around half an hour to cook the dish.
Sunday – Day 7
Your Sunday keto menu can include the following delicious meals:
- Breakfast – keto cheese rollups. The preparation time will be around five minutes. You may also add some paprika powder, chopped parsley, or other herbs to make the rollups more delicious.
- Lunch – Keto Quesadillas. Although it sounds complicated, the dish is not hard to make. It will take you 15 minutes to prepare everything and 10 minutes to cook.
- Snacks – any snack you like, and which is keto-friendly.
- Dinner – spinach pie. You will need to spend 45 to 50 minutes to cook this delicious meal. The good part about it is that the pie can be made on Saturday, but it is impossible to eat all of it. There will be some pieces you can include in your meal plan during the week.