L-Glutamine is a type of amino acid that the body needs to stay in optimum health. Along with other types of amino acids, L-Glutamine is a protein building block, meaning it helps make up the body’s tissues, including muscles, skin, and internal organs. The body manufactures it naturally, but at some point, you may experience depleted levels.
In most cases, L-Glutamine is used in bodybuilding and sports to help with both muscle growth and repair. Additionally, it will help you get more calories when you are on a ketogenic diet since it is a building block of protein. Studies have shown that this type of amino acid helps improve protein synthesis within body cells. The cells then use the protein to build structures like skin and muscle tissues.
Since the body utilizes proteins when you are on a ketogenic diet, the levels of L-Glutamine in the blood reduce, which can lead to immune system impairment. Therefore, ensuring that you have enough L-Glutamine when on a ketogenic diet or after a workout is essential to keep the immune response strong. And that is why you need the best L-Glutamine supplements. This guide has useful information about L-Glutamine and some of the best supplements available in the market. Read on to learn more.
What is L-Glutamine?
L-Glutamine is a building block of body proteins and belongs to the essential amino acids group. Your body can create it, but in some cases, it’s necessary to supplement it either in the form of supplements or food. The production of Glutamine primarily takes place in the skeletal muscle and then distributed to different organs that use it.
Some of these organs include small intestines, liver, muscles, and kidneys. Approximately 60% of L-Glutamine is available in muscle tissues, while the remaining percentage can be found in blood plasma, brain, liver, and lungs. Also, Glutamine can be taken in from natural foods such as low-calorie meat, casein protein, and eggs.
L-Glutamine is vital for human health since it offers many benefits. It promotes the normal functioning of the immune system and intestines. Additionally, it helps in the production of glucose and amino acids in the body. Amino acids combine to create proteins that help break down food, repair body tissue, build up muscle, and other important processes.
This in mind means that L-Glutamine is essential for the human body, considering that it is one of the most abundant amino acids in the blood.
What’re the Benefits of L-Glutamine?
The amino acid L-Glutamine has numerous benefits for the proper functioning of the human body. The primary reason why you should take L-Glutamine can be found in its positive effects. Here are the main benefits:
- L-Glutamine serves as an important nutrient when it comes to healing the intestines. So if you have any intestinal issues, this type of amino acid can help you. Additionally, it helps with gut problems, IBS, and any ulcers that you may have.
- When you workout, the levels of L-Glutamine in your body deplete. And this can significantly affect your immune system. This is the main reason why many bodybuilders and weightlifters are susceptible to illnesses. If you supplement your body with L-Glutamine, it will restore the normal levels keeping you healthy.
- L-Glutamine is a vital neurotransmitter in the brain, and it helps with concentration, focus, and memory. Additionally, it helps keep the mind sharp, aiding your mental health.
- If you are looking to shred fat, L-Glutamine is one of the best options available out there. It is a powerful fat burner. When its levels increase, both cellular detoxification and metabolism also increase speeding up the fat loss process. This occurs since L-Glutamine helps in the production of human growth hormone.
- Since it helps improve and heal other parts of the body, it positively affects workout recovery. It improves athletic performance as it helps the body to function at its best. Also, it minimizes muscle wasting and boosts recovery from any physical and endurance exercises.
- Supplementing L-glutamine can help you cut down on alcohol and sugar cravings. It helps stabilize blood glucose and suppress insulin. That being said, it means that L-Glutamine is ideal for individuals with diabetes.
- It can help fight cancer and naturally balance the PH levels in the body.
How to Choose Glutamine Supplements
Since there are dozens of L-Glutamine products on the market, it is difficult to choose the best supplement. Luckily, several essential things can help you pick a perfect supplement if you consider them. They include:
- The Concentration of L-Glutamine: You should first check L-Glutamine levels in a supplement before you can purchase it. For bodybuilders and weightlifters, five grams of this amino acid per serving is recommended.
But some brands include a small amount of L-Glutamine in their products. This is why you will find products with only one gram of Glutamine. So checking the concentration before purchasing will help you buy a perfect supplement.
- Additional Ingredients: Some individuals prefer a combination of nutrients, amino acids, and other ingredients, while others love pure amino acid supplements. The supplements or blends you purchase depends on your unique needs and requirements.
Other ingredients can either boost the efficiency of your supplement or introduce more side effects. This situation only leaves you in a dilemma. If you are looking to consume L-Glutamine in high amounts, you should only go for supplements containing this amino acid. On the other hand, you can choose blends if this ingredient isn’t a priority in your program.
- Unflavored/Flavored: There are multiple options out there, and the choice of a supplement primarily depends on your needs. If you are a starter, it is advisable to start with unflavored capsules or powders. And if you prefer flavored supplements, go for those with natural flavors.
- Brand/Company: It is advisable to purchase supplements from well-known manufacturers. Since any authorities don’t regulate most products in this category, there are high risks of purchasing a supplement with harmful ingredients. Manufacturers do not indicate such ingredients on their labels, which means that you can easily consume things that significantly affect your health.
Top 10 Best-Rated L-Glutamine Supplements
If you are looking to purchase some of the best-rated L-Glutamine supplements, then you are lucky today. Here are the top-10 supplements from well-known manufacturers. Some of these supplements only contain L-Glutamine, while others have additional ingredients. The products are available in different forms, which include powders and capsules. Go through the list, and once you come across your perfect match, go ahead and purchase it.
1) Optimum Nutrition Glutamine Muscle Recovery Capsules: Best Overall
This product is a perfect option for individuals looking for flavorless and easy-to-swallow capsules. It does not have unnecessary components; only L-Glutamine, magnesium stearate, and gelatin are available. These three ingredients are ideal for building body muscles. Gelatin provides the body with much-needed building blocks that boost the muscle recovery process. It is a source of protein but without any fat.
Magnesium stearate is another ingredient that is available in the form of capsules. This is vital since other components cannot stick to the capsules. Between one and two capsules, a day is the recommended dose. You should consume them just before or after exercise or between meals. This product is from Optimum Nutrition, one of the USA’s leading brands, and it enjoys a huge customer base from across the universe.
Since its establishment, this supplement has gained more than 1,500 consumer ratings, out of which the majority are positive. Individuals purchase this supplement for different purposes, which range from maintaining muscles to healing the gut. From customer feedback, it is clear that this product works great when dealing with digestion problems and muscle recovery.
2) Crazy Muscle Recovery L-Glutamine Capsules, 1000 Milligram: Best L-Glutamine Capsules
Are you looking for a supplement that can minimize muscle soreness while providing you with lots of energy and exercise more and faster? Look no further; Crazy Muscle Glutamine Capsules is a perfect option. The product is 100% pure L-Glutamine and contains zero flavors and sugars.
In this supplement, Glutamine’s concentration is 1,000mg per capsule, which is a recommended dose per day. With this supplement, you don’t have to ingest unhealthy fillers that are, in most cases, part of capsule content from other manufacturers.
Approximately 90% of consumers give this supplement five stars, which means that it is a great product. It is popular with both bodybuilders and weightlifters who are interested in wellness and health products. To speed up muscle recovery, you can consume this product when your stomach is empty. The best thing is that it doesn’t cause stomach upset, and it is convenient than powered supplements.
3) Now Sports Nutrition Powder, 1 Pound | the Best L-Glutamine Powder
If you love powdered supplements, then you should try out this product. L-Glutamine is the only ingredient available, and it is flavorless. The product was tested for banned ingredients, which means that it is ideal for professional athletes who are ready to follow the anti-doping rules.
Additionally, this supplement’s manufacturer is GMP-certified, meaning that all of the facilities available meet the current industry standards. Now Sports Nutrition is the company behind this amazing supplement. It was established 50 years ago, and currently, it is one of the leading brands in the bodybuilding industry.
Consuming this powdered supplement is easy as you only need to take one teaspoon of the supplement and add to a glass of juice or water and mix your solution thoroughly before ingesting it. You should consume this supplement between your meals either once or twice daily. A significant number of consumers purchase this product to heal the gut.
If you are a beginner, you should take a low dose to avoid side effects like flushing and nausea. Consume a half teaspoon of the supplement in the morning as well as in the afternoon. Once you notice no signs of side effects, you can then increase your dose slowly.
4) Body Fortress 100% Pure L-Glutamine Powder: Best Pure Glutamine
This supplement is ideal for weightlifters, bodybuilders, or individuals who exercise a lot. Every serving contains 15 calories and 4.5 grams of Glutamine. The product does not have artificial flavors as well as preservatives. Additionally, it is free of yeast, sugar, and Glutamine. A 13-once canister has 16 servings, which means that this supplement is enough for more than one month and provided you, consumers, twice daily.
It blends perfectly with green tea and water, and it is flavorless. It is advisable to consume it just before and after exercise to speed up recovery and enhance your workout performance. Consumers rate this supplement highly, showing that it is of high-quality. Not being NSF-certified is the only downside of this product. NSF certification is strong evidence of any product’s safety.
5) Essential Stacks Gut Glutamine Powder: the Best For Bodybuilding
The Essential Stacks Gut L-Glutamine Powder is another supplement with zero additives, including soy, sugar, and gluten. The supplement was designed primarily for individuals with gut problems, and an FDA-registered company manufactures it. It means that it is not likely to cause any negative effects when consumed in higher amounts. This is the main reason why it is recommended for weightlifters and bodybuilders. Another great feature is that this product is highly absorbable thanks to the lack of additional amino acids.
Additionally, it is easier to use as you only need to add a scoop of the supplement in water and then mix thoroughly before taking it. A single canister has 300 grams of the supplement with a single serving amounting to 5g of L-Glutamine. Based on the consumer ratings available, 90% of customers love this product. They particularly love the L-Glutamine ingredient’s concentration in this product, and most of them say that it exceeds their expectations.
6) Nutricost L-Glutamine Powder, 500g: Best Unflavored
Nutricost is an American-based company that manufactures high-quality supplements for various purposes, ranging from weight management and sports nutrition to products for women’s and men’s health. The company is an industry leader in terms of supplements, and that is why it managed to create one of the best flavorless L-Glutamine powders in the world.
The powder is not only easy to use but also cost-efficient. Each serving contains 5000mg of the L-Glutamine substance. The product is popular among consumers, and most of them rate it highly. One of the features that make this supplement popular is that you can’t even taste it when you add it to a drink.
7) Natural Factors Micronized Glutamine Drink Mix 500mg: the Best Glutamine Drink Mix
This product contains only one ingredient, which is L-Glutamine. It is flavorless and mixes excellently with different types of drinks. It is also certified organic and free of GMOs, so with this supplement, you are sure that you’ll not consume any pesticide residue or synthetic substances.
The supplement is manufactured by Natural Factors, one of the leading producers of nutritional health products in the USA and other parts of the world. The company was established in the 20th century, and it owns farms where organic plants are grown. Additionally, it has its manufacturing facilities and laboratories that help research and tests the produced products.
Consumers say that this product works well, especially when it comes to muscle recovery. It reduces muscle stiffness and helps with pains. According to customers, this supplement is also excellent at reducing both alcohol and sugar cravings. It absorbs excellently and doesn’t have any taste.
8) Now Supplements, L-Glutamine 500 Milligrams: the Best Vegan
This product is an ideal option for vegans since it contains vegetarian-friendly content. It is available in capsules with L-Glutamine powder inside. The company that produces this supplement is reputable, with all of its labs, manufacturing facilities, and testing techniques being GMP-certified. Consumers describe this product as phenomenal. Some users claim that it helped them cure alcohol addiction. And this is true since it helps with both alcohol and sugar cravings.
9) Evolution Nutrition L-Glutamine 5000: the Best For Muscle Gain
With five grams of pure Glutamine, this product is perfect for individuals who are looking to build up their muscles. Since L-glutamine actively participates in proteins’ production, you need more of this amino acid during workouts to be on the safe side. The manufacturer extracts this substance from high-quality materials, and no additives are involved.
That is the main reason why this product is also vegan-friendly. Over 80% of consumers have rated this supplement highly, and it is because it speeds up the muscle recovery process. Customers claim that this supplement keeps them feeling sore after workouts. Its inability to completely dissolve in water is the only disadvantage of this product.
10) NutraBio 100% Pure L-Glutamine Powder
This supplement’s manufacturer does not include any other ingredients, which means that it contains 100% pure L-Glutamine. It is a five-gram serving, and you will receive 100 servings per bottle.
Depending on your dosage, this supplement can last you approximately two months. It is tasteless, affordable, and helps with muscle deterioration. Additionally, it will help you feel amazing and not sore after exercise.
What Foods Are High in L-Glutamine?
There are lots of food that have a great amount of L-Glutamine. You can include them in your daily diet to provide your body with this essential amino acid. Interestingly, foods that have high amounts of L-Glutamine are all healthy for you. Some of these foods include:
- Some Vegetables: If you are a vegan, then vegetables like kale, cabbage, carrots, celery, broccoli, asparagus, beets, and Brussels sprouts are a perfect option for you. They have lots of L-Glutamine substance.
- Cow Products: Grass-fed beef, grass-fed raw dairy, bone broth, and grass-fed whey protein are great sources of this type of amino acid. This makes sense since bovine products such as dairy and meat are excellent sources of protein.
- Other Foods: Spirulina, wheat, papaya, venison, chicken, eggs, fish, etc.
How Much Glutamine Should You Take Daily?
Before taking the supplement, you will need to discuss with your health expert to be sure that your body needs this amino acid, and it can sustain high amounts of L-Glutamine. Once you are sure with these two things, it then comes down to dosage. If you’re a beginner, it is advisable to stay between the 500mg and 1,500mg range.
You should keep in mind that your body and some of the foods you consume have a ton of L-Glutamine. So it is excellent to start with a small dosage. Once you feel that your body can take more, a range of between 5,000mg and 15,000mg should be ideal for you. This should be the maximum range.
The best idea here is to test and see how your body can accommodate without experiencing any side effects. If you decide to increase the amount of L-Glutamine, you should be sure to consume B vitamins supplements. B12 is excellent since it helps control the buildup of L-Glutamine in your body.
When Should You Take L-Glutamine?
Taking L-Glutamine just after a workout is optimal, especially when consuming it for recovery and performance purposes. This is where the amino acid boosts the production of Human Growth Hormone, an element that lowers body fat ramps up metabolism and builds muscle tissue. Experts recommend taking it after a workout, since during this time, your immune system is low, so it will help protect the body from illness.
For diabetic, insulin-sensitive individuals, or have problems when it comes to regulating blood sugar, it is important to supplement this amino acid later in the day. Not taking it in the morning is that the insulin in the body is suppressed, and you are not subject to spikes in blood sugar or sugar cravings.
How Long Does It Take For L-Glutamine To Work?
Similar to most supplements, L-Glutamine will be absorbed into the bloodstream quickly. But if you are taking it to repair your intestines or leaky gut, it will depend on your immune system. It will take effect on fat burning, muscle building, and workout recovery within a few hours.
When is the Best Time to take l glutamine
And once you are taking L-Glutamine consistently, you should be in the position to see its effects continuously. If you’re working for a competition or show, you should try the 5mg to 15mg range. With this, you should see the changes in both mental clarity, recovery, and performance within a few days.
Types of L-Glutamine
Currently, there are only two types of L-Glutamine which include:
- Alanyl-L-Glutamine: This type of L-Glutamine is attached to other amino acids, and it aids in digestion, meaning you can consume it when your stomach is empty.
- Free Form, Regular L-Glutamine: This L-Glutamine is best to consume with food for excellent absorption.
L-Glutamine Powder VS Capsules
L-Glutamine supplements are available in either capsules or powder. And the choice primarily depends on an individual’s preferences. Below are some of the differences, advantages, and disadvantages of both types.
Powdered L-Glutamine is cheaper than capsule and dissolves excellently into any drinks that you may prefer after a workout, including a sports drink or water. The taste is almost unflavored and mild, which means that it is unnoticeable. With it being in a powder form, it is difficult to travel with it, and you must have a drink to mix it.
Capsules offer plenty of benefits which include:
- Consuming them is super convenient.
- Measuring is straightforward; however, at 500mg, you will need to pop lots of capsules to get the desired dosage.
- Capsules are affordable
L-Glutamine Side Effects
With L-Glutamine supplements, you will not have to experience severe side effects as long as you consume your body’s needs. If you are not allergic to any L-Glutamine supplement, there are just a few side effects which include:
- Pain or swelling in certain areas of the body, including hands, back, and feet.
- Dizziness, headaches, and feeling tired.
- Itching, increased sweating, dry mouth, runny nose, and rash.
- Vomiting, nausea, gas, and stomach pain.
L-Glutamine is a vital amino acid in the body. It aids recovery and strengthens your immune system, gut, and intestines. Additionally, it plays a significant role in the production of Human Growth Hormone and increases brain function.
You can get a ton of L-Glutamine in the diet since most foods are rich in protein. Also, there are plenty of excellent supplements in the market, so you only need to research and find a perfect match.